"The Big Apple" -- one more incorrect etymology

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 21 20:11:38 UTC 2013

On Dec 21, 2013, at 2:17 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 12/21/2013 10:30 AM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 21, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>>
>> > Barry Popik has informed me of one more
>> incorrect etymology for "The Big Apple". He
>> writes about it on his website (barrypopik.com),
>> > and I now forward his item to ads-l. Btw,
>> anyone familiar with New York City knows that
>> the suggestion of an apple tree growing
>> > on every street is nonsense.
>>
>> You do realize that this "etymology" is proposed
>> by Ron Burgundy, yes?  (Or at least by someone
>> in his biopic, which I confess I haven't seen;
>> I'm not sure what to infer from the wording
>> below--"it's explained".)  I think this is a
>> different category from the seriously proposed
>> (or even seriously bluffed) explanations
>> invoking Eve's Apples house of prostitution or∑I
>> seem to have repressed the other suggestions
>> that have appeared in at least purportedly
>> serious print.  A debunking is hardly in order here.
>
> Except of the Tweeters?  I get the impression
> from Barry 's posting that many of them take it
> as true, although there isn't enough text to prove that.
>
> Joel

Yes, but when Putin's cronies retail articles from The Onion as evidence for something or other, we don't necessarily feel the need to debunk them.  Or maybe we do. I suppose Ron Burgundy may be seen as following in the tradition of Borat, who I seem to recall was taken seriously in some quarters, and not only Kazakh ones.

LH