the new "euphemism"

Sun Dec 22 00:21:49 UTC 2013

>From the NYTimes of a day or so ago, from an article on a exhibit of work
by Jason Rhoades.

"And each installation has something to say about the stereotypical,
sex-obsessed, heterosexual American male; one piece is littered with
printouts of Internet pornography, another covered with neon signs that
list euphemisms or [sic] the vagina."

In that the NYTimes -- pure in word, thought and deed, as always --
couldn't bring itself to print any of these euphemisms, I surmise that they
are really synonyms -- obscene synonyms, but still.

I suppose that this is a sign that now "euphemism" is a synonym for
"synonym".
So what's a synonym for "euphemism", for the use of those of us who prefer
to be understood as saying what we intended to be understood as saying?

GAT
in dismay.

If this be prescriptivism, make the most of it.

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.