substitute for

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 24 00:55:04 UTC 2013

By sheer coincidence, I find the following in my
high-voltage-bestselling-thriller reading for the holidays:

2008 Tom Rob Smith _Child 44_ (rpt. N.Y.: Pocket Books, 2009) 44: He'd
married her because she was beautiful [etc.]....Was Vasili right when he'd
said she could be substituted for another?

That was in the author/narrator's voice, of course.

The earlier passage alluded to is as follows (p. 142):

"Raisa is beautiful. But there are many beautiful women. Maybe you'd be
better off with one who wasn't quite so beautiful."

(Can you guess that Vasili is a villain?  And that this bestseller
isn't that good, despite six solid pages of raves from the _Times_, the
_New York Times_, the _Wall Street Journal_, the _Chicago Tribune_,....)

JL

JL