Plural adjective to avoid unintended meaning

Tue Dec 24 09:42:39 UTC 2013

It's been noted here in the past that plural adjectives do appear. I think that's particularly common with irregular nouns like "people food."

On Fresh Air yesterday, Terry Gross interviewed Will Scheffer, who started to say "extra casting agent" to refer to an agent who casts extras, but changed "extra" to "extras" to make it clear he didn't mean "surplus."

The transcript at http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=251627762: "And so we had a wonderful casting, extra casting agent and also, you know, extras casting agent who brought us wonderful faces and we were able to see who we really, you know, could work with."

The video can be accessed from http://www.npr.org/2013/12/23/251627762/getting-on-with-it-a-new-hbo-show-doesnt-tiptoe-around-death. It's about 23:10 or so.

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA

Learn Ainu! https://sites.google.com/site/aynuitak1/videos