Further [on] "Patriotism"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Dec 25 18:45:16 UTC 2013

I was curious about when this took the sea voyage to the New World,
and looked in EAN.  Not an antedating, but earlier than the 1760s I
would have expected.  (EAN has earlier instances, but they are in
articles taken from British newspapers.)

"They have by their extraordinary Faculties, wrap'd up this Scheme
[the Land Bank] ... in so bright a Disguise, as to influence some
few, into an Opinion of its being of real Service to their Country,
and to stamp Praise and Patriotism upon their Characters".

Boston Evening-Post, 1740 Nov. 24, 1/2.  EAN.

Joel