"The stroll"

John Doe hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 26 01:31:31 UTC 2013

It's been in use for centuries. And a prostitute doesn't simply stand
there. She literally strolls up and down, so as to show off the goods,
displaying herself to potential clients who want to "dig that action," i.e,
see the movement of her lower body as she walks.

An Apology for the Bible: In a Series of Letters, Addressed ... - Pages
99-100
books.google.com/books?id=-NoMAAAAIAAJ
Richard Watson - 1796 - ‎Read - ‎More editions
"... Mary Magdelene ; she was a woman of a large acquaintance, and it was
not an ill conjecture that she might be upon _the stroll_."...

The quotes are in the original. The author is citing his correspondent.

-Wilson

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 5:33 AM, Donald McCaig <mccaig at mgwnet.com> wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Donald McCaig <mccaig at MGWNET.COM>
> Subject:      "The stroll"

> Does anyone know when this became common parlance for a prostitute's
> working corner?

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain