"[grand?] foquet", 1793, not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 26 03:20:02 UTC 2013

At 12/25/2013 08:42 PM, John Doe wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>
> > "The grand foquet raises the human countenance, or any other object
> > from the size of miniature to that of life and reflects it with all
> > its tints and shades on canvass; so that an exact likeness may be
> > preserved, tho' so varied in size."
> >

>I tried "fouquet" - Le Grand Fouquet is the name of a hotel - and I didn't
>find that, either.
>

>--
>-Wilson

Yes.  I'm utterly mystified what this is, and why there seem to be no
other instances in English (aside from a few similar advertisements
in EAN -- although I haven't yet gone to British newspapers or
journals, ECCO, etc.).  I even thought of "focus", as in changing
focal lengths (the "grand foquet" is an optical device, perhaps
similar to a camera obscura), but I can't tie the knot for "focus" either.

Joel