"... grades on _a_ curve."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 26 16:24:42 UTC 2013

In my recollection (mid '60s), "grade on *a* curve" did effectively mean
"raise our grades according to some theory that we don't really understand
but which is obviously fairer than giving us what we deserve."  It was much
more common than _on *the* curve_, which implies that the speaker has a
some notion of what sort of curve is involved.

JL