"... grades on _a_ curve."

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 29 06:40:16 UTC 2013

At first, in high school, I remember "are you (the teacher) going to
grade on a curve?" to essentially mean "give better grades than our raw
score indicates". But later,  I found that scores could be lifted "curved
up" or degraded "curved down" to fit some statistical model like a bell
curve. As these teachers informed us, curves can go both ways.

Then there were the "curve breakers". Students who did so well
that--unless their scores were treated as outliers and thrown out--their
performance would spoil other students' chances for grade enhancement.

En