triage

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 1 01:55:11 UTC 2013

If I sort out (no pun) the data coherently, _triage_ would have been a WWI
medical euphemism of sorts (no pun) to judge (put on "trial/try" = English
cognate) which soldiers were to be salvaged (made whole/saved/recycled) for
further cannon fodder reloading. Hence, a good practice, from a military
superior viewpoint. We, the cannon fodder, on the other hand, interpret the
term _triage_ negatively, and so for the layman, the negative aspects of
depriving medical care to wounded soldiers has overridden the positive
aspects of saving expendable lives. Bad meaning drives out good. So, is
there another neutral euphemism for the practice these days among medical
practitioners?