Times Literary Supplement Review

Fri Feb 1 04:20:17 UTC 2013

Fred's review is fantastic. He carefully analyses the strengths and
weaknesses of the latest edition of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations.
The new and valuable material that Geoffrey O’Brien, the current
editor, has added to the volume receives praise.

Fred discusses the novel research techniques that have transformed the
field of quotation research with familiarity because he was the
pivotal figure leading these advancements as editor of modern
benchmark reference work The Yale Book of Quotations. He also notes
the superb efforts made by the Oxford English Dictionary editors to
use the large-scale databases built in recent times.

Fred presents numerous examples of the out-dated and inaccurate
information that still resides in some major reference works. This
should be eye-opening to the readers of the Times Literary Supplement.
He generously refers to the American Dialect Society discussion list
and several of its denizens as well as Wombat Thomas Fuller.

Definitely worth requesting and reading with enjoyment.
Garson