A Word for the Dictionaries: "Unconference"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 3 14:59:08 UTC 2013

On Feb 3, 2013, at 7:32 AM, Michael Quinion wrote:

> Fred Shapiro wrote
>
>> The word "unconference" is defined by Wikipedia as "a participant-driven
>> meeting."  It gets 3,200,000 hits in Google, but is not in OED nor
>> Merriam-Webster.
>
> See also http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-unc1.htm in which
> I trace it to Usenet in 1993. I think the Wiktionary 1973 example is in a
> different sense.

For a different sense, "the Unconference" was used in newspaper stories as a proposed name for the low-powered University Athletic Association organized in the mid-1980s, whose members included Brandeis, the U. of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, NYU, and the U. of Rochester.

LH