OT: Slogan of the group, (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 5 22:27:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: OT: Slogan of the group, (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>

>> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 8:22 PM, Jonathan Lighter
>> > <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
>
> No doubt a reference to the British WWII propaganda poster, "Keep Calm
> and Carry On":
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Calm_and_Carry_On
>
> I've seen the phrase re-worked into other topics.  It has turned into a
> meme:
> http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/keep-calm-and-carry-on
>

>> > WAG: An allusion to the fact that the only Spanish language approved
>> > by the government is Castilian and making too much of a point of
>> using
>> > Catalan or any other "regional language" or "patu=E9s" publicly
> could
>> > get you into trouble?
>> >
>> > --
>> > -Wilson
>>

> Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE

My wife owns a book whose dustjacket almost exactly replicates the
placard upon which the Catalan slogan appears. The title of this book,
as displayed on the dustjacket, is

KEEP CALM
      and
CARRY ON
copyright 2010

Replace "Carry On" with "Catalan" and, ay wah la!

Day late. Dollar short.

--
-Wilson
-----