Earliest Known Occurrence of the Term "Hot Dog" Pushed Back to, 1886, (Corrected Citation)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 7 01:57:47 UTC 2013

Careless usage? Or semantic survival?

1986 Kristen R. Yount _Women and Men Coal Miners_ (Ph.d. diss., U. of
Colorado Dept. of Sociology) 284: Like a guy would take in coffee and, to
play a trick on him, they'd put  those little vienna sausages in his
coffee? So when he'd go to pour him a cup, the [laugh] hot dog would get
stuck in it, you know? And you'd be laughing.

It would never occur to me to call a "little vienna sausage" a "hot dog,"
esp. if I'd just used the word "sausages."

JL