Antedatings of kudocast, kudofest, kudo

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Feb 7 05:36:36 UTC 2013

In  this Visual Thesaurus column (subscription required), I take the  compounds
"kudocast" and "kudofest" back to 1996 and 1998 respectively,  but did not
include the actual
citations:http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/dictionary/kudomania/.

 The 1996 attestation for "kudocast", via ProQuest:

Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news
services and the nation's press.: [Home Edition]
Berman, Art. Los Angeles Times (pre-1997 Fulltext) [Los Angeles, Calif] 10 Sep
1996: 2.

>Emmys Draw Well: Sunday's Emmy Awards telecast on ABC walked away a winner from
>a ratings standpoint, according to preliminary figures. The show attracted 27%
>of the prime-time audience in the 33 major cities metered by Nielsen Media
>Research, a 17% increase compared to last year's rating and the kudocast's best
>results by that standard since 1986.

The 1998 attestation for "kudofest":

alt.gossip.celebrities -  2 posts  -  2 authors  - Last post:  Jul 21, 1998
> NBC and Emmycast exec producer Don Mischer have opted against naming a host for
>this year’s 50th anniversary kudofest, which will be broadcast live by the ...
>https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups=#!topic/alt.gossip.celebrities/cBnMXZj3kdY
> As for plain old backformed "kudo," the OED has it from 1941 in a book called
>Hash House Lingo, but it seems to be a singular mass noun: "Good standing with
>management." Looking for antedatings with the "compliment" sense, the  closest I
>got was from 1943, via ProQuest:

Washington: Both Sides of the Curtain: Administration's Alternative to Rollback
Program Would Have Been to Permit Wage Increases
>Author
>Blair, Edson
>Publication title
>Barron's National Business and Financial Weekly (1942-Current file)
>Volume
>23
>Issue
>27