Rule by children -- not for the OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 10 00:50:27 UTC 2013

The following two are not in the OED.

"filiarchy".  The earliest I see in GBooks is:

1956.  "There are so many of them and they are so dictatorial in
effect that a term like filiarchy would not be entirely
facetious."  William Hollingsworth Whyte, The Organization Man
(Garden City, N.Y.: 1957), p. 378.   [Snippet]

Other dates before 1970 are 1956 [probably excerpted from Whyte],
1962, 1968, 1969.  In use in 2012.

"juvenocracy".  The earliest I see in GBooks is:

1966.  "... the other hand, a juvenocracy which rejects all the views
of its elders."  The inauguration of Mackinac College and the
installation of S. Douglas Cornell as its first President: Saturday,
October the first, nineteen hundred and sixty six, Mackinac Island,
Michigan. p. 57.  [Snippet; Hathi Trust confirms page no.]

Other dates before 1970 are a rash in 1967 through 1969 (if a rash is
7).  In use in 2012.

And then there were the scary movies ...

Joel