"Book bible"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Feb 11 17:28:47 UTC 2013

"Show bible" is a standard TV industry term for a document that outlines the
concept and backstory for a television series. It's used to inform writers
and directors of the creator's intent and to help maintain continuity.

It sounds like "book bible" may be lifted from this.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Joel S. Berson
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 12:07 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "Book bible"

I encountered the following on an email list.  I have not seen or heard the
term "book bible".  The description of what the author wanted sounds merely
like a book index, although very comprehensive.  Perhaps users of the phrase
apply it only to fiction series, where the writer wants to be factual in
succeeding publications (that is, to avoid inconsistencies).  I suppose
"bible"
because it is the truth about the fiction.

"I hired a college student to assemble a book bible for my urban fantasy
series last year. I was doing edits on the second book and about to begin
the third, and was spending way too much time flipping through the first
manuscript to fact-check details (was Alex driving a Mercedes or a BMW, and
was it a convertible? That kind of thing). I had her make an index of all
proper nouns, character details, world building details, lists of charms and
potions my character made, etc.
She's done the first two books and will be adding details from book three
this year. It has saved a LOT of time."

Googling seems inefficient (I'm an agnostic, and too many hits are for The
Book).

Joel