"flicker" = 'movie' (1912) + "flicker alley" (1911), "flicker house" (1913)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 11 22:34:32 UTC 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Ben Zimmer wrote:

> * "flicker" = 'movie' (OED2 1927)

whence "flick" (OED 1926) and "the flicks".  Seems like someone might have noticed that the truncation is cited for 1926 and its source for 1927.  1911/12 is more like it.

LH