Antedating of "Hijack" / "Hijacking"

Nathaniel Sharpe nts at BETHLEHEMBOOKS.COM
Tue Feb 12 01:44:02 UTC 2013

Going off Jon's suggestion, I did a search of contemporary Oklahoma
papers and came up with these 1916 instances of the "illegal kind:"

Date: Wednesday, August 9, 1916  Paper: Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)  Volume:
XI  Issue: 280  Page: 1, Tells of Shooting Osage "High Jack"
(GenealogyBank.com)
According to a story told by R. W. Smith, an oil man of this city, there
will be one less "high-jack" to contend with in the Osage hills for a
time at least, as a result of his marksmanship, displayed in a pitched
battle on the old ridge road late Sunday afternoon.
Smith says he was showing some of his friends a lease near Keystone and
was returning to Tula when he was confronted by a lone highwayman who
commanded Smith and his party to "stick-em up."

Date: Saturday, April 1, 1916  Paper: Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)  Volume:
XI  Issue: 169  Page: Four, The Man About Town (GenealogyBank.com)
Knowing their immense wealth, pickpockets would immediately high-jack
the whole crowd.

Nat