Antedating of "Hijack" / "Hijacking"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Feb 12 16:05:37 UTC 2013

Before "hijack" meant "rob," it referred to the pilfering of high grade "zinc" (jack) in the zinc mines of southwest Missouri. At least some miners would slip a bit of it into their pockets or boots when they left work for the day and were known as "highjackers."  The term then spread to the hobo jungles, where it meant "someone who robbed from a fellow hobo while he's asleep." (This was a major offense in the jungles).

The term then spread to the oil fields, where it referred to a hold-up.  Then (in Prohibition): to steal bootlegged liquor.

I wrote an article on all this a while back, first in my Comments on Etymology and then in the Studies in Slang series I've been putting out.  Tomorrow I'll be back at my office and will send you the bibliographic reference.

Gerald Cohen