Still Further Antedating of "Hijack" / "Hijacking"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 13 03:45:56 UTC 2013

hijack / hijacking (OED 1923)

1915 _Duluth News Tribune_ 26 Dec. 5 (America's Historical Newspapers)  The "High Jacks" are fake agents who hold up caravans of contraband liquor, confiscate cargoes and dispose of them to thirsty tipples.  Reports to agents here are to the effect that "high jacking" has been very successful, owing to usual nervousness of bootleggers, who are in most cases easily frightened into abandoning their illicit cargoes and scurrying for cover.

Fred Shapiro

_______________________________________
From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Nathaniel Sharpe [nts at BETHLEHEMBOOKS.COM]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:44 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Antedating of "Hijack" / "Hijacking"

Going off Jon's suggestion, I did a search of contemporary Oklahoma
papers and came up with these 1916 instances of the "illegal kind:"

Date: Wednesday, August 9, 1916  Paper: Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)  Volume:
XI  Issue: 280  Page: 1, Tells of Shooting Osage "High Jack"
(GenealogyBank.com)
According to a story told by R. W. Smith, an oil man of this city, there
will be one less "high-jack" to contend with in the Osage hills for a
time at least, as a result of his marksmanship, displayed in a pitched
battle on the old ridge road late Sunday afternoon.
Smith says he was showing some of his friends a lease near Keystone and
was returning to Tula when he was confronted by a lone highwayman who
commanded Smith and his party to "stick-em up."

Date: Saturday, April 1, 1916  Paper: Tulsa World (Tulsa, OK)  Volume:
XI  Issue: 169  Page: Four, The Man About Town (GenealogyBank.com)
Knowing their immense wealth, pickpockets would immediately high-jack
the whole crowd.

Nat