"Sissies, fairies, pansies gay"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 17 16:44:43 UTC 2013

At 2/17/2013 07:34 AM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
>1933 _Baltimore Afro-American_ 21 Oct. 17 (ProQuest Historical
>Newspapers)  The products engendered by union of these decadents of
>changing sexes is generally an unenviable type of degeneracy
>characterized by homicidal or homosexual proclivities.  Sissies,
>fairies, pansies gay, The woods are full of them today.

And it's a much pithier verse than N. Coward's of 1939:
"Everyone's here and frightfully gay, Nobody cares what people say,
Though the Riviera Seems really much queerer Than Rome at its height."
(Rivierer/quairer??)

I am imagining a musical comedy satire on "Little Red Riding
Hood."  The writers of "Forbidden Broadway" restage Sondheim's "Into
the Woods."  The recurrent sung motif: "The woods are full of them
today."  The Broadway types for the Big Bad Wolf are endless.  I
start with Liberace.

Joel