A, V, or M; also "bigger vs. larger"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 17 19:43:18 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> My recollection is that on the TV program "Twenty Questions" "animal,
> vegetable, or mineral" was a freebie -- that is, the panel was told
> which. But it was a long time ago.

Oh, come on! I remember Twenty Questions" from *radio* days! And my
memory is the same as yours. OTOH, I have a very possibly incorrect,
very weak impression that AVM was, as you say, a freebie, in the sense
that, on the TV version, AVM? was the first question and there was a
standard sign used to make the distinction. Kinda like:

Q. "Animal, vegetable, or mineral?"
A. "[Signal]."
Q. "All right: mineral. First question."

But maybe this is just a dream that I once had. Except for the fact
that I agree with Joel that getting the info as to AVM wasn't counted
as one of the twenty questions.

OT: I recall a quiz show on which a player on Team X shouted out,
during Team Y's turn, the "joke" answer, "Head for the roundhouse,
Nellie! He can't corner you in there!" However, that was actually the
*correct* answer, which Team Y would clearly have never figured out by
itself - How can that possibly be elicited by using only gestures? -
thereby handing the game to Team Y.

The greatest metaphorical "wrong-way touchdown" that I've ever seen.
--
-Wilson
-----