antedating "donkey"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 18 12:49:45 UTC 2013

> It morphed into an ass very quickly, sometime between Fred's 1774 and the
OED's 1785.

This is possibly an illusion. The 1774 writer assumes that his readers
already know what he means by "Dunkey," even if we're not 100% sure.  If,
as seems possible, it had been applied locally for a number of years to any
Scottish-bred livestock, including asses, there would have been no
"mutation," just an eventual narrowing of meaning.

Grose, in 1785, evidently thought of it as a neologism, meaning ass only.
Born in 1731, he may have been familiar with it for many years.  It would
not be likely that such a term would appear very promptly in print -
particularly if it were rural and specialized.

JL