Heard: "loci" with [k], not [s]; cf. "fungi" with [Ng], not [nDZ] [NT]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 22 04:44:46 UTC 2013

On Feb 21, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Scott wrote:

> Not two words one usually hears in conversation; however, it seems to
> me that here in Montana the pronunciations you indicate are usual. In
> fact, ISTR a lame joke: "He always orders his pizza with mushrooms;
> he's a real fun guy!"
>
> Scott Swanson

And if those unsoftened velars were good enough for [iulius kaisar] they're good enough for me!  (OK, I admit I do soften those velars myself, but I would fight to the death your right to retroactively harden them.)

LH