infamous = 'talked-about; popular'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 22 11:58:14 UTC 2013

Another possible gloss, in the golf-match context, might be "amusingly
embarrassing."

BTW, does anyone *actually* use "infamous" in the officially proscribed
sense of "famous"?  Or is this here (there, I said it) really the sort of
usage the proscribers have in mind?

JL