"to sweat [something] out" -- 146-year antedating, I hope

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 23 13:22:36 UTC 2013

I think "sweat it out" here is an idiom meaning simply to "sweat."

It shares with recent use a dummy "it" that has no antecedent.

Had the writer imagined there was anything slangily metaphorical about the
phrase, the typical 19th century convention would have been to put the
undignified term in italics and between quotation marks.

The really innovative WW2 usage was to "sweat (something) out," i.e., wait
for it to end or to occur, put up with it until it happens or is over,
worry about it, etc.

JL