Heard: "loci" with [k]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 23 19:15:40 UTC 2013

On Feb 23, 2013, at 1:31 AM, Herb Stahlke wrote:

> Was there also a nom. sg. locum?

As I recall (I don't have my Lewis & Short on me), we learned in Latin class that this was one of those nouns--I guess we'd call them transgender now--that shifts from masculine in the singular to neuter in the plural, so I suspect there was no "locum", unless we were misinformed (or I misremember, always a possibility).  But the earlier discussion indicates that any such emasculation depends on the context, or the sense of "locus" being pluralized, which I certainly didn't remember.  (I'd always assumed that later ignorami just assimilated "locus"/"loca" to the more usual -us/-i second declension pattern, for the same reason that you hear "octopi" and the like.)

LH