"to sweat [something] out" -- 146-year antedating, I hope

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 25 02:30:49 UTC 2013

On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> I don't see much similarity either. Different meter, different rhyme
> scheme, different subject, different tone - the only connection seems to be
> "not in summer."
>
> JL

Well to be fair to John, I think the idea is that in each case the poet/singer itemizes each season, explains why he can't leave the singee or perish, as the case may be, in the respective season based on its particular features, and after doing this for all four seasons concludes that no, never could he leave her (or die) at all.  So that's a bit more of a resemblance than just the bit about the summer.  But still, no basis for Lerner to sue the obscure poet from 146 years earlier (assuming the calculations are correct; I didn't check).

LH