Antedating of "MILF"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 25 18:56:38 UTC 2013

I agree with VS (and JL) that Sutton's characterization seems off, at least with the hindsight (as it were) of 20 years.

To be sure, "condescension" (like "condescend") has undergone connotative shifts over the years; I remember being struck by Austen's apparently positive use of it as an attitude or act embodying grace.  OED's sense 2 is 'To come or bend down, so far as a particular action is concerned, from one's position of dignity or pride; to stoop voluntarily and graciously' and 3, quoting Dr. Johnson, is 'To depart from the privileges of superiority by a voluntary submission; to sink willingly to equal terms with inferiours'.  Clearly there's been some shifting with the winds of change in our attitudes toward class differences, and the OED's entry is almost entirely daggered with purportedly obsolete uses.  As for the nominal, the only two non-daggered senses for "condescension" are strikingly positive:

2.  Voluntary abnegation for the nonce of the privileges of a superior; affability to one's inferiors, with courteous disregard of difference of rank or position
4.  Gracious, considerate, or submissive deference shown to another; complaisance.

Now, neither of these seems quite to capture the motivation of "MILF"-wielders, but then neither does AHD's more up-to-date negatively connoting sense, 'Patronizingly superior behavior or attitude'. Victor's "objectification" certainly seems to hit the mark for at least some instances of the attitude "men" are intending to express. ("Coarseness" goes without saying but that's more manner than content).  Or maybe we need a new noun--MILiFication?

--LH, wondering if there might be a class-related distinction between British and U.S. connotations for "condescend/sion"