HELP! I accidentally found a word fossil!

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 5 16:39:42 UTC 2013

Note that if you ever need to establish your priority on a discovery, posting it on an archived list serv such as this one is a great way to document your claim.

As for the "ferocious competitiveness" of antedaters, this competitiveness, to the extent it exists, takes the form of arguing strenuously for one's position or trying hard to find evidence documenting one's position or complaining that one's discoveries get no respect.  I can't recall any instance of someone trying to take credit for someone else's discovery.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Nathaniel Sharpe [nts at BETHLEHEMBOOKS.COM]
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:27 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: HELP! I accidentally found a word fossil!

Thank you all for your helpful and thorough responses!
I have decided I will share my findings on this list, as my main concern
is that my discoveries become common knowledge (if they aren't already!).
That being said, I would hate to see my hours of research somehow
usurped by one of my fellow "ferociously competitive 'antedaters,' often
amateurs, eager to disprove various theories." As Fred said, however, it
is unlikely that someone like me would have stumbled on something really
foundational. So before I get my hopes (and fears) up I will lay out the
evidence I've discovered and let you decided what, if anything, it
proves or disproves.
Also, while I'm not yet ready to share the exact word, I will retract
the adjective "naughty," as the sexual implications are rather misleading.

Thanks again,

Nat