Negrophobia: pswaydo [and not so] -interdating(s)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 7 02:08:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> If it's the same person, Dr. J. [Joshua] R. Hayes is the later author
> of "And Why We Do Not Live Longer" (1897), which in its publisher's
> announcement is described as "By J. R. Hayes, M.D., Medical Examiner
> Bureau of Pensions, Department of the Interior, Washington,
> D.C."  (Perhaps because we were born into slavery.)
>
> One can find a favorable review of his "Negrophobia" from the
> Washington Express, Aug. 16, 1869, at
> http://tinyurl.com/bxvscxy
>
> A 1987 book says "a Dr. J. R. Hayes excoriated the proposed Fifteenth
> Amendment in 1869 with a rehash of all the biological 'evidence' for
> Negro incapacity."

The story of the movie, The Whistler, which is based on the old radio
program of the same name -

"I am The Whistler, and I know many things, for I walk by night. I
know many strange tales hidden in the hearts of men and women who have
stepped into the shadows. Yes. I know the nameless terrors of which
they dare not speak"

- is that a guy who has let his wife die at sea decides to die himself
and, through a connection, hires a hit-man to kill him. After the hit
has been set up, the connection is killed by the local po-po, who have
been on the lookout for him as the man wanted for killing a cop in
Saint Louis. Then the guy learns that his wife is not dead, after all.
So, naturally, he wants to call off the hit. But, the guy has no idea
who the hitter is and the connection is dead. Frivolity ensues.

How this can possibly have had anything to do with the Negro Problem
as it existed in 1944 is the real mystery.

--
-Wilson
-----