"Adult Swim"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 7 11:54:23 UTC 2013

The meaning of "Foo!" is that it used to appear regularly on signs stuck in
the ground or pinned or pasted randomly to walls in the comic strip "Smokey
Stover."  If you had to ask what it meant, of course, you'd never know. So,
like, later for you!

Bomber crews in Britain toward the end of WW2 referred to real and
hypothesized German jets and rocket planes as "foo fighters."  The term
also embraced what later would be called "unidentified flying objects,"
though they were presumed to be German, not Martian.

JL