Q: "gallows" also including a platform?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 7 15:33:20 UTC 2013

A gallows figured in a great New Yorker cartoon of many years ago.

Public hanging. Crowd packed tight around the gallows. Hangman at the
ready. Condemned man in tricorne but with a big round smiley face for face.

One onlooker to another: "Aye, laddie, there's spunk!"

JL