NYC's Upper, Lower, and mid- East Sides

Mon Jan 7 20:49:42 UTC 2013

Yorkville was around 86th Street, wasn't it?  It was the traditional German neighborhood (or one of them, more likely) in the old days.

My dad always regarded the East Village as simply a section of the Lower East Side--I used to go to concerts there in '67-'72 and it was very definitely separate for me.

Turtle Bay, Lenox Hill, Murray Hill, etc. were the proper names of the East Side neighborhoods, but as a suburb kid, I used to lump them all together as East Midtown.  What the hell?  New Yorkers used to lump all our Jersey towns together as Jersey, whether you were talking about Bound Brook or Bayonne.  NY people would get very surprised when I'd say that I lived in the mountains (really hills) in Jersey.

Paul Johnston