Calinky (slang for "Carolina")

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 8 21:47:16 UTC 2013

For a while I've been looking for early forms of "Calinky" and
"Cackalacky" (and variants), both used as references to the Carolinas.
 Several years ago I was able to push these back to 1974 and 1972,
respectively [1].

I suspect I've found a 1936 usage of "Calinky" with reference to what
I assume is North Carolina, but an oddly placed comma seems to ruin
the effect.

"PARK TERMINAL. The mighty Bear Hunters have returned from North,
Calinky without a B'ar; Brotmeckle and Tucker."

http://books.google.com/books?ei=E1jsUPHcPJDk9gTK7YDIAQ&id=ZRo9AAAAIAAJ&dq=calinky

That's from a *Baltimore Transit Topics* column called "Transit
Family."  *Baltimore Transit Topics* is not available to me via
interlibrary loan, so I'm unable to get to the relevant page of this
publication.  I therefore can't verify the page number, issue number,
and date of publication.  But there's enough available data via
Google's snippet view to place this in the latter half of 1936,
certainly not too long after the Hindenburg had passed over Baltimore,
an event mentioned elsewhere on the page.  (Of course, if anyone's
local library happens to carry back issues of *Baltimore Transit
Topics*, I'd be much obliged.)

-- Bonnie

[1] http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0808C&L=ADS-L&P=R2679.
 In 2002 Grant Barrett mentioned recent sightings of "Calinky" in
reply to Eric McKean's question about "Cackylacky."