"existential"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu Jan 10 00:24:23 UTC 2013

These examples all seem to me to be using "existential" as the adjectival form of "existence."  An "existential threat," for example, is a threat to something's existence.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 1:36 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: "existential"

Is it my imagination, or has the word "existential" been reduced to a meaningless intensifier in news reports?

Some examples, culled from Google News:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100022145/comrade-barroso-the-existential-threat-to-the-euro-is-mass-unemployment/
(headline) "Comrade Barroso, the existential threat to the euro is mass unemployment"

http://washingtonexaminer.com/barney-frank-terrorism-is-not-an-existential-threat-to-america/article/2517933
(headline) "Barney Frank: Terrorism is not an ‘existential threat’ to America"

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-existential-value-of-twitter-other-web-giants-2013-01-08
(headline) "The existential value of Twitter, other Web giants"

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-01-03/facebook-profit-shows-existential-risk-for-social-network-tech
(headline) "Facebook Profit Shows Existential Risk for Social Network"

   - Jim Landau

PS only in New Jersey: a bumper sticker that reads "My Governor Can Eat Your Governor"

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.