antedating "folk music"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 11 14:46:48 UTC 2013

1859 D'Avenet (or is it "D'Aveney"?) is especially interesting because it
refers to the music of church-bells as "folk" (i.e., peculiarly national)
music.

The term seems to have been unknown outside the tiny circle of British
antiquarians and academics familiar with the work of the Grimm brothers in
Germany.

OED's 1870 "Folk-Song and Folk-Speech of Lancashire" seems to be the first
exx. of "folksong" in the modern sense (fuzzy as that is).

JL