Geographic "up" and "down"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Jan 12 16:08:06 UTC 2013

This subject has been discussed before.

I am only a amateur word freak and ferociously competitive antedater,
but I think both of you are wrong.  I cite "down East", which can
mean "northeast, in Maine", whether said by someone in the lower New
England States or by a resident on the spot.  So "down" can be
neither "nearby" nor "south".  For further disputation, see the list
archives -- search for "down east" from 2000 through 2011.

Also, to some "downtown" means the central, business district, while
"uptown" means the outer locations, often residential.  (And not
everywhere -- New York City has a downtown and an uptown, whereas
Boston has only a downtown -- I think.)  See messages having the
Subject line ' "Uptown" v. "downtown" w/meaning: "main shopping
district"  ' as well as messages with the Subject line "midtown".

The professionals will have more to say.

Joel