Joke: He hated the stuff they served in hotels. And such small portions (1933 August)

Sun Jan 13 18:42:57 UTC 2013

 Charles C Doyle said:

> And the 1931 text surely represents an allusion to the joke, not
> an actual "telling" of it, the reader being assumed already to
> know the joke.

Excellent point, Charlie. In the original post I said: "Here is an
instance alluded to in passing in 1933". But I did not say that in the
second post with the 1931 cite.

Indeed, a reader of Ernest L. Meyer's text might have a difficult time
fully interpreting the phrase "And such small portions!" if he or she
was not already familiar with the joke.

Garson