"The Battle of Bataan" heard as

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 14 02:54:16 UTC 2013

The American deaffrication of [dzh] usually occurs in foreign words or
words thought by the speaker to be foreign, like Elijah, Fallujah, Beijing,
etc.  I haven't noticed it much in native words or words that aren't proper
nouns--and, yes, "assuage" comes from French in the 16th c. but is as
nativized today as "language" [laeNgw at zh].