Antedating of "Menopause"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Mon Jan 14 11:23:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 04:14:46PM +0000, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
> menopause (OED 1872)
>

> 1858 _New Hampshire Journal of Medicine_ 1 Aug. (American Periodical
> Series) In females we enquire: Are you regular? Have you the whites?
> Replies to these questions convey what is essential respecting
> puberty, pregnancy, the menopause, the different affections of the
> uterus and vagina.

Thanks, Fred. The ProQuest article concludes with the notice that this
article was reprinted from the Virginia Medical Journal, and this
original (from March, rather than the August of the NYJM) is in fact on
Google Books:

1858 _Virginia Medical Jrnl._ *10* 226 In females we enquire: Are you
regular? Have you the whites? Replies to these questions convey what is
essential respecting puberty, pregnancy, the menopause, the different
affections of the uterus and vagina.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED