To/in press/print

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 14 17:09:06 UTC 2013

On Jan 14, 2013, at 11:47 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> Doesn't a book "go to press" *before* it "is in print"?  And I find
> it a bit hard to say a book "is in press"

As far as I know, this is the standard term for a book at the point when it's in the publisher's hands (after the galleys have been submitted in final form) and it hasn't yet appeared in print.  It is so cited in bibliographies, e.g.

Hall, Joan Houston et al., eds.  In press.  Dictionary of American Regional English, Vol. VI. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.

Once it's in print, then of course it's cited by year of appearance.  As I mentioned, this is an aspectual classification: "in press" is closer to appearance than "forthcoming" or "to appear".

LH