"The Battle [and bottle] of Bataan"

W Brewer brewerwa at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 14 20:31:22 UTC 2013

LH:  <<<"Colorado" and "Nevada", where locals  domesticate  stressed vowel
to ash than easterners>>>.
WB:  Probably sociolectal variation. In the '70s & '80s, I recall hearing
_Iran_ pronounced [ear-'rAHn] and pernounced ['eye-'raen]; [ear'rock] vs.
[eye-'raek].  My sociolectal variant still has guna in the first syllable
/ai/ and ash /ae/ in the second; these pronunciations express an antagonism
I feel; whereas the politically correct [ear-'rAHn/k] are wimpy attempts at
assuaging [uh-'swAHzhiN] international tensions.