a new CxO?

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jan 16 15:30:33 UTC 2013

"Chief investment officer" is a common title in firms that manage money ("CIO" usually refers to the department head, not the department).  It's actually older than "chief information officer."  I see a use of "chief investment officer" in the New York Times for Jan. 30, 1926, although there are only eight more uses in ProQuest Historical Newspapers prior to the 1960s.  "Chief information officer" does not show up until Nov. 20, 1942, in the Hartford Courant.  The title then seems to have meant something like head of public relations, not the current meaning of  the most senior executive in an enterprise responsible for the information technology and computer systems that support enterprise goals.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at netscape.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 9:50 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: a new CxO?

from an on-line news article about JPMorgan Chase:

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/1001/20130116/f2373.htm

<quote>
"Importantly, once Mr. Dimon became aware of the seriousness of the issues presented by the CIO, he responded forcefully by directing a thorough review and an extensive program of remediation," the bank said. The CIO is the Chief Investment Office, the unit where the bets that led to the loss were made.
<end quote>

I've only seen "CIO" used before to mean "Chief Information Officer" of a corporation.

    - James A. Landau

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.