"hook up with"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 17 00:42:57 UTC 2013

OK, now I do have access to my HDAS II, and I see that Jon's first specifically sexual cite for _hook up (with)_ = 'become amorously involved with a person…for at least the duration of the evening…"Did you hook up with Debbie last night?"' is provided (with that gloss) in the 1988 edition of Connie Eble's _Campus Slang_.  I'm pretty sure it was around before then at Yale and probably elsewhere, although the exact nature (or degree) of the activities engaged in between the amorous involver/involvee pair can sometimes be…well, underspecified.  Which is where the clones below come in handy.  Unfortunately I would need to find my students' word journals from the late 1980s to confirm how early this had popped up around here, and they're buried under decades of detritus.  (Nominalized _hook-up_ with the relevant meaning is first attested in HDAS in Terri McMillan's 1987 _Breaking Ice_.)

Interestingly, it seems as if the "innocent" meaning of _hook up_ survives for now alongside the value-added one, but perhaps this won't last, given the force of taboo avoidance; cf. the history of "make love" or Fr. "baiser" (v.)

LH