Is this a good sentence?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 18 16:04:51 UTC 2013

On Jan 18, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> This is so far out of my dialect that I feel I'm
> again in the Northern Scottish Isles and can't
> understand the speaker.  Please translate into
> standard New Yorkese (my dialect is pretty circumcised):
>
> "I love me some him."

'I love him' (but the personal dative does contribute a nuance typically described as "subject involvement" or "benefactive", which is why "I hate me some him" is much more marked)

> "This is dedicated to those who love themselves some heavy metal."
or as noted, "…to those who love them some heavy metal", which is more natural for the actual dialects in which this construction is at home

Again, just delete the pseudo-indirect-object.

You can if you like this of this as the transitive counterpart of "Now I lay me down to sleep" or "Hie thee hence", and there are many cross-linguistic analogues (as in French "Je me bois un verre")--all discussed in more detail than you want at the below links.

LH