blowzy

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 21 13:31:54 UTC 2013

At 1/21/2013 08:10 AM, Charles C Doyle wrote:
>A reminder:  In many varieties of Southern American English
>(including my own and, I would expect, Wilson's) "blouse" and
>"lousy" are pronounced with a [z].  Unlike in the [s]-speaking parts
>of the country(which is most of them?).

Where do I come from, since I pronounce "blouse" with an [s] -- but
"blowzy" with a [z] -- and  "louse" with an [s] -- but "lousy" with a
[z] -- if I'm using "a general term of abuse", etc.; although I
might, very rarely, deliberately use [s] if I meant "full of lice",
in order to be clearly understood as not being generally abusive?

Joel