blowzy

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Jan 21 14:55:45 UTC 2013

At 1/21/2013 09:29 AM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan wrote:

>I discussed this with my wife, Margaret Winters, who actually
>(occasionally) uses the word, normally with reference to a woman
>Without telling her the context, I asked her what she meant by it.
>Her answer: 'slightly sloppy, unkempt, perhaps a little overweight'.

That's about how I would understand it (and would find it odd if
applied to a man, despite the OED's citations from earlier
centuries).  My earlier citation here of the OED's "comic, rustic"
sense was merely because I was amused by the potential application of
its only quotation for that sense to an inauguration speech -- it is
"I cannot fancy the blowsy wisdom of the country."

Joel