late = 'died long ago' (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 23 17:07:45 UTC 2013

It's also possible to pick up a few instances of "the very late Mr.", although Google's estimate of how many is more than usually misleading. The "About 1,880,000 results" turns out on closer examination to amount to exactly 15 instances.  There are a couple of references to the very late Mr. Shakespeare, and this one of local interest:

Oct 20, 2010 – New Haven has been abuzz with parties honoring the very late Mr. Charles Darwin.

But if 15 can count as about 1,888,000, I don't see why a man dead for 128 years can't count as (very) late.

LH